Tuesday, October 5, 2021

OBX21 - Thrifty 1

 Still have vacation pictures from like, a month ago! There are many thrift shops along the Outer Banks, which is cool since I like searching for treasures, so let's see if we can find some pirate booty around here.

This was a new place my friend spotted. We visited here right after we got done fishing on the boat. We had planned on going thrift shop hopping the next day but got an early jump on it here.




I knew I should have looked this up while I was there, but the Playmobil Fort Glory set is from 1994 and there's a few listed on eBay right now for around $100. It looked like it was in great condition but there's no way to tell if the estimated "1 gazillion pieces" included um... everything.


Always oddly shocking to see sharp knives just readily grab-able in a thrift shop. Anybody else think this is very dangerous, or is that just me? We're all cool with this?


Magic: The Cat-ening, the puzzle. Does a cat really need a wand and a book to cast a spell on you? Normal cats do it all the time without either.


This frog looked... So.... HAPPY! I felt compelled to take it's picture and share the joy.


You should never be able to use the word "modern" on a book title, because this book is from 1985 and is likely not "modern" anymore. I know virtually nothing about waterfowl guns and gunning, but I have a clear notion that there have been many changes in waterfowl guns and gunning since 1985.


You can be certain people would notice your place if you paint the outside pink. Which place is that? Where is it? Dude, look for the pink building. You can't miss it!


No pressure, but if you buy stuff at the CHKD Thrift store, you're helping sick kids get better. If you need any kind of push to get you to spend money, how about this?


Anybody know about the Nautical Signal Flag alphabet? Designed to be seen from far far away, you can put up a row of these on a boat and spell out words. Because they are easier to see than plain old big letters, and y'know, they just look cooler. I took this picture on purpose so we could re-look at it to translate signs later.


It's hiding in the back there, but that one glass jar looks like a Dalek from Dr. Who. This blue one in the front looks like someone squeezed it too hard and it got stuck that way.


There's a few funny things about this picture. First of all... Gentlemen's Club. Wow, did they hear about this thing called The Internet? I suppose they might need promotional merchandise. But also, ...WV is ...West Virginia? How is this here in the Outer Banks of North Carolina?


You better be a big fan of Peter Rabbit to have his picture on the table all the time. Couldn't you just buy a blank table and like, a plate or something to put in the middle?


Is that right? $5 for this whole thing? Or is that just the glass piece on top? Too bad I don't really have any place to put this. It reminds me of a similar hexagon-shaped table/cabinet my friend has back home in Virginia.


You might find it interesting that there is no standards for Foosball. Notice the different table sizes and player pieces. Anybody ready for Olympic Foosball? Mmmmm... nah. But get one of these to practice, if you think so.


Whoa! That's so "meta"! It says it's a dust collector, and it works great. And here it is in the thrift shop... collecting dust! You could technically put that label on everything here.


Something struck me as weird seeing a Bible in a thrift shop. Like, should all Bibles be only found in thrift shops, or... never? I mean, I get that this is an old copy, but the message is still fresh and relevant, so should the Bible always be considered new or always be considered old since it's from a long time ago? So I stopped to think about that for a moment before I snapped back to the random shopping.


Okay. You got time to duck?


I'll trade you this basket for your one Crowley. There might be a few people who get that joke. It's a pretty obscure joke. Why would I make a joke that only a few people would get?


Awww! My friend's Mom would love this! She's a big thrift-shopper herself and already has tons of this type of thing already. Really, where else other than a thrift shop would you find things like this?


Don't play with your food! Except when your plate is a literal golf course and you really need to sink that meatball in three strokes for par.


Why is the one thing I see, that might be awesome to get, so expensive? A porthole mirror on any wall would make anyplace look like you're in a boat. It's solid brass, so I can understand why this heavy thing wouldn't be cheap.


Class and Trash. Yep, that's a thrift shop all right.


How many adventures has that bicycle been on? Maybe I should bring our own bike down here one of these trips.


This thrift shop had obviously new stuff in it, that was trying to mimic the thrift shop vibe. One day, this stuff might end up in a real thrift shop. Does that even make any sense?


I don't think I take enough wide-view pictures of thrift shops, I always get pictures of individual items to make comments on. Only noticed that when I tried to take a picture of this big garden arch thing.


What a cool tag line for a coffee ad. Wake the heck up! You just know they wanted to use a different word than "heck".


Not one little metal sculpture bird, two! They look very hand-made, but the fact that there are two of them, now I don't know.


Oh yeah? You want your door to be "Private"? How about we just put this dresser right in front of it? Is that private enough for you?


What an amazing bed this would make for any kid. It would be like sleeping in a fairy tale!


The text on the top of that scale is a little scary. It says something about gaining and loosing weight all throughout the day. It sounds like it makes sense but also ridiculous at the same time.


A magazine from 1955?! Wow that's a long time ago! Sometimes being in a thrift store can feel like you are, instead, in a museum. Except I could have taken that super-old magazine home with me, if I had wanted. That's a little crazy, right?


Remember that Nautical Flags diagram from above? I knew there was a building on this road with the name in "flags" so I managed to get a picture of it as we sped past. I'll save you the effort or translating it yourself (unless you want to, then you can stop here and do that...) but the name of that place is Metro Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment