Wednesday, February 9, 2022

BS Antiques part 2

 There were so many cool things to see in the Barrett Street Antique Center, that we have another batch for you.

This is an intense amount of commentary just in the title of this album: Never Apologize and Never Explain, A Sign of Weakness by John Wayne. What an awesome summation of Cowboy Philosophy. The only thing that makes this applicable is the overwhelming integrity of John Wayne's reputation. He's just never going to do anything he needs to apologize for in the first place, no explanation needed. Your own results may vary.




A wide shot showing the variety of treasures to be found at an antique store. Treasures and chests, I mean... treasure chests.


Ho ho ho, Green Giant. I can't type out the little giggle-laugh that the Pilsbury Doughboy does, but you probably already did it in your head right now. Also, check out the nicely-quilted ceiling.


This is not a camera, it says Pictograph Lantern. Is that the same thing? Always fun getting a picture of an old camera. With a new camera. Of an old camera.


Well those giant store displays have got to wind up somewhere. Anybody a big enough fan of New Amsterdam Vodka? You need this in your house?


Star Trek comics! They should make movies out of those! Oh, that's just Marvel and DC comics. Haha. I wonder how different it would be if Star Trek started out as comics instead of the TV show.


This clock was blinking 12:52 when I took this picture, at 4:04. Does that mean anything to anybody? Fun with numbers! I probably could have taken a minute to figure out how to stop the clock from blinking, and maybe even put the real time on it, but I thought it was cuter just blinking.


The table legs look like Klingon weapons! NuqDaq yuch Dapol!


This forest girl, probably not wearing a shirt, was looking at me oddly, so I got her picture. Maybe I can find a shirt somewhere around here for her.


Why make a statue that big, and not make it life-sized? Maybe Jack Daniel was very short? Who else thought this was Teddy Roosevelt?


Are those coffee beans antique, too? Are coffee beans like bee honey, which is good forever? Pretty sure coffee beans expire at some point, but now I'm not so sure.


The glorious contradiction of an 8-Track tape and the title "today's Super Hits". Yeah. Not today-today. This was a long time ago. Busted!


I'm a little proud of myself because I was trying to figure out what these initials stood for, I didn't know right away. When I checked out the back and saw "Let's Go Brandon" I did an internal groan of disgust, but then another little smile to know that this was in the thrift shop; like someone who owned it got rid of it. Which is a kind-of nice thought about the whole awful thing. Even for politics this is a low place nobody needs to go. We're better than this.


The plaque implies this Salmon sculpture originated in Alaska. Art is art, but the scientist in me wonders if there were salmon in ancient Egypt. Does it matter?


This fine piece of luggage, with it's slightly-rusted metal fittings, looked like it's been lots of places. If only you could tell stories. Did you ever look at old objects, and wish they could tell you stories?


Saw a few sets of The Simpsons figures. There's a paradox here of collecting a figure of Comic Book Guy as "The Collector" who was himself collecting figures. So obviously he'd want to collect himself. Quick trivia answers: Comic Book Guy's real name is Jeff Albertson. His father was known as Postage Stamp Fellow.


Imagine walking your dog and seeing this sign in a yard. Would you want to make your dog go in that yard on purpose now? Just to spite the silly sign? Also noticed the Washington Redskins helmet underneath it, hahaha. No! They re-named themselves to Washington Commanders already! No need to do that to the old helmet! At least that other open-mouthed wall decoration was not under it instead!


This shelf was pretty cool looking, I don't know what struck me as funny about seeing a "HOT!" tag on the top of it. They know this is an antique store, right? It's not like they are selling several of these a day, it's the only one here. Like everything else.


Super old, busted up, worn down bed. No way that thing is not haunted. Haunted for sure. Good luck getting any kind of sleep in that. Or maybe anywhere around the general area it's in.


I just can't seem to get a .....handle.... on what sort of caption to put with this picture. Maybe something here can help me out.


As I was looking a this odd Native American guy, about to shrug and pass on getting a picture, I noticed that cow behind it. And it seemed to be saying "Hey! Take MY picture!" Okay! Is it fun to imagine random things talking to me, or does that make me crazy a little?


That says Civil War Dress, which is shocking for an antique. But why does it need to say Civil War? I think it might sound better to just say "circa 1865" instead. I'll save you the math and tell you that's 157 years old in 2022.


This is every antique collector's mantra. Almost everything here is unique, and if somebody else grabs it, you might never see another one ever again. Well, for a lot of this. You might get lucky with some types of things. But still a good thing to keep in mind.


I did not ask for assistance with picture taking. I have a little experience doing this picture thing, I think I'll be okay. It was fine for me, I'm a little plastic pony, but did not look remotely safe enough to put a regular-sized child up here at all.


Thanks. I wanted to be horrified by a headless, handless body mannequin. Well, I might as well get a picture of it now. Yikes.


Look at that wall-gate-door thing over there. Absolutely amazing! I have no idea where anybody would need such a thing, but for that one person who does, wow. It was almost too big to notice. It's the whole wall.


AHH! As I was driving away, I had to pull over to get a picture of the old Laser Tag place. Which was sadly gone. I remember the last time I was at this antique store; I was happy to notice the Laser Tag place was still there. Looks like it was not able to survive "The Pandemic" which is not too surprising, but still sad. I wonder if the laser tag equipment would be in the antique store one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment