Thursday, June 30, 2022

Hot Biking

 Finally the weather gets good enough to go out for a bike ride. Actually, it's probably too hot. We skipped right over "nice" and went from a little chilly to oppressive heat. But I'm not going to complain, let's go!

Head on out to the D&R Canal trail, and I'm met with a sign that tells me to turn around? Um... no. Were there some new rules I wasn't told about? I'm going to keep going and see if I can figure this out.




Hmm... Right over the bridge is this sign telling me to go this way. So it looks like some kind of route for an even of some kind. My friend got a funny selfie next to the "single" sign. Not as funny as an amusement park's "Single Riders" selfie, but still a little relevant.


Yeah no kidding. There's a button you push next to the road here, that flashes some "stop" strobe lights, but you typically have to wait next to it and after a half-dozen cars zoom past, one guy eventually notices and stops. and then the other side of the traffic sees the stopped car, and then they stop. And then you have to dash across like an idiot waving a sorry-thanks to everybody.


Um... not a good sign, literally. The button to activate the lights is all ripped up on the ground. I didn't get another picture, but the pole on the road did have another functioning button, so I don't know what this one is doing here on the ground.


Is Blasting Zone the name of a level in Sonic the Hedgehog? This sidewalk is closed, but use that other one. I guess only this side is in the blast zone?


The sign over there has whistles and minutes. And I kinda want to hear whistles, but also I kinds DON'T want to hear them? I don't think they really are going to blast on the weekends, you think?


I'm sure this chain link fence will protect me! You can't see it, but there was a street over there that's now all dug-up. Like, as if they are putting secret tunnels under it, it's that deep right now.


Hmm... still hard to see the dug-up street in this picture, but you can see some building in the back there. That's probably what's being blasted. What a mess!


I could hear all kinds of loud music when I rode into the football stadium to grab some precious cool shade. Looked like there was some kind of stage over there.


No stage, it was just a shade-spot with a large overhang. There were people setting up a fireworks display and I guess there were speakers and music which needed to be sound-checked.


Princeton was PACKED that day. There was a few times we had to get off the bike and walk it, because it was impossible to ride around the crowd. That's okay since it was so hot and we were exhausted. Walking the bike was a pleasant break.


Random beads on the ground? You know what? We took 'em. I don't know why. It's like one of those video games, y'know, where you find random objects. We might need these later for something.


Sooooooooooo hot outside! Our Poweraid was nearly empty, and we see this giant tower of water, for whatever event thing was going on. Do we take some? I mean, we're not part of the event, maybe some people would need that water more than we would. After we passed on this first one, we spotted some obvious tourists taking some water, so we did indeed chug three full cups of the refreshing water. We were just about thinking of bolting home, but the recharge helped prolong our day.


I forgot if there was a reason why I took a picture of this gate. Right across the street is the shopping um... shops. Oh! I remember. Right through the gate you can see a restaurant named Tacoria, which some place reviewed as having the best nachos in New Jersey. We've not yet been in there to confirm that.


Old cameras in a sidewalk sale! Who needs an old camera when everyone has a good one right in their pocket these days?


Some old people will tell you that the noise of this old-style projector makes them sleepy, because of school room movie days, and naps during classes that they would invoke.


Every year I have to advertise this giant white oak tree, just in case you need to get rid of an ancient vampire, and the only thing that might hurt it is a stake made from an old white oak tree. Those crazy vampires, am I right?


We're nearly home, but right now we realized we could have chugged our small amount of Poweraid and re-filled the bottle with the water. D'oh! Oh well, it would have been nice but we're not to far away from home anyway.


We notice the fence, and all of those massive electrical wires going into the ground. Totally NOT a secret lair right under there. Nope. I mean, If "Minty" can figure it out... I'm just saying,... bad secret lair planning.


Later that night we got home and after an hour relaxing on the couch, my friend's legs were not moving! It was that "good kind of sore" that you get from exercise. Well, the next day, we were feeling like maybe we could go out again, so we did! We went in this direction and caught some people playing with their dog.


They were tossing a ball into the river, and the dog was leaping in to fetch it! It looked like tons of fun, but I don't even want to think about what kind of bath that poor dog got when they went home later.


Another hot exhausting day, taking a full blown bench break. There's the good ole' bike. We thought about doing the Pee Wee Herman thing and putting all kinds of fancy decorations and maybe like the lion head and everything, but... nah.


There was a person sitting on a bench nearby, and they were reading a book while wearing a mask. I thought they might freak out if I dove through this fountain, but I was still tempted. It was pretty hot that day.


Here's a railroad crossing sign that's on the D&R Canal trail, and I can't figure out where the railroad is, or... was. There's no tracks anywhere around here.


Is there a science reason to have a waterfall thing like this? There must be, right? I mean, people did this, and it had to be for some reason. That's a lot of work for something to just "look cool".


DUCKEES! These geese were oddly blocking the path, and when I sheepishly walked around them, I noticed the adorable little ducklings. I circled them so you could see better. SO CUTE!!!! AHH!!!!


That's some courage of the kids who did this on the sidewalk next to the museum, that's right next door to the actual police station. Seriously it's right behind me. I hope there was some kind of event going on, where the traffic was blocked or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment