Friday, September 1, 2023

Epcot again, part 2

 Continuing with the pictures from our Epcot day at Disney World. There's not too many more vacation picture batches, so hang in there we'll be back to regular random pictures in a little while. For now, there's more Epcot stuff!

One of us really wanted to get over to Mexico in the World Showcase, but we were on this side of the park, and took a detour through The Land. What an odd name for a place. Kind of not descriptive, but I guess... it works.




It's a nice indoor "Shopping Mall" type of place, but the theme park version of that. There's a food court and attractions instead of stores. We're here for the cool ride, Soarin'.


While standing in line, I look up and notice the DUSTY ceiling. Part of me thinks it must be dusty... on purpose? Maybe it's Disney Magic "fake" dust that just looks real. Soarin' is a great ride but I got a "corner" seat again so a few of the views were warped. Eh, it's still pretty good even with a corner seat. We laughed at the ride intro video that said "put your cameras under the seat" instead of "phones" because when they made this ride, people didn't commonly have cell phones yet!


Baby Groot and Rocket! I know they are characters in movies, but it's also cool to see statues of heroes. Even if they are fictional. It makes the movies seem more "real" somehow.


Statue of Miguel from the movie Coco. Remember him? That's a cool trick for the movie, which heavily revolves around remembering people. Get a statue! They'll always remember you!


Um... Is that a typo? I thought the quote was "I CAN do this all day" How embarrassing for the merchandising people, to get such an iconic quote wrong!


Merchandise from the She-Hulk show! Super heros needing lawyers? That's got comedy written all over it.


This rock pattern is from The Thing, a member of The Fantastic Four. There's been modern movies for them, but not technically tied in to the rest of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Still very recognizable.


It's obvious and simple, but this is an awesome design for some "Mickey Ears".


Finally! We made it over to Mexico. It was the one thing my younger friend really remembered when he visited a long time ago, and wanted to see again.


Coincidence with the "remember" theme? Haha. Funny. We took so long to get over here, and his tummy was a little upset, so he basically took one good look, and then bolted back to the hotel to relax. There's more to the story, about the old shoes and burning, tortured feet all week, but the main lesson is: wear your GOOD shoes. That's why you have good shoes and bad shoes. If you're going to be walking for a solid week, you want the GOOD ones! I'm not trying to give a lecture, just sharing some advice from my friend's personal experiences.


There was still a couple of us left to continue on, so let's check out Mexico while we're here. Let's explain this holiday and tell you why it's NOT Halloween.


Rich people skeletons. There's a lesson here. Something about everybody liking pretty dresses and big hats? No, that's not it...is it?


Dia De Muertos, or "Day of the Dead," gained popularity because of its visual similarity and proximity to Halloween, but it's really quite different. This bride and groom symbolize that love endures even after death. Halloween is just about scary things.


Did this cat marry this dog? Is that more of a scary Halloween thing? Now I'm confused.


In the Mexico gift shop area. Those Mexicans are hand-painting those figures, it's a cool traditional decoration.


I got some the last time I was here, so I didn't feel like I needed another. But they look so cool! Cute kitty!


My friend is not a fan of the "candy skull". I mean, they look very colorful and all, but they are still... skulls. We can have colorful other-things instead of skulls.


A lot of the Mexico merchandise was cute. I already bought a bunch of pins but almost got this cute one. Is it good I resisted? Or should I have got it anyway?


The fold-out fan is typically associated with Japan, but they had a bunch of them in Mexico, too.


These plushies had the fabric-covered metal plate to put under your shirt shoulder, and the big magnet to hold them on to you. I already got the Avatar Banshee one, but I kind of wanted one of these, too! Ugh, souvenirs, right? How many is too many? I resisted these, as well.


Sorry I forgot the name of the spirit-guide-dog-things, but there were baby versions of them. CUTE!


Mexico-on-Mexico! It's authentic hand-painted chihuahua figures! Woof!


Minnie Mouse in a cute Mexico outfit, ON your cute Mexico outfit! Cute.


It was dark, and there was a massive reflection on this box, but the picture came out okay, so I'll post it! I have no need whatsoever for a Minnie Mouse figure, but still, this one was so nice I kinda wanted it anyway! I gotta get out of Mexico before I buy any of this stuff.


Took this picture of the candy for my friend who shall remain anonymous. Do you like it when you see your name on stuff? Gloria has got to be a pretty common name in Mexico, you think?


Yet more cute things in Mexico. Since my friend had to bail out of the place he remembered, I got a few extra pictures of the neat things in here.


Yuck-yuck. Get it? There was a couple of Mexico "drinking" shirts, I guess tequila is a Mexico thing people always think of, too.


On the way out of Mexico, we spot Donald Duck doing the photo ops. Long line. Of course, he's Donald Duck!


15 Minutes to wait, to meet Anna and Elsa! Not very long, but with only a few of us, we were not really in the mood. I've met them before, anyway. We probably should have done it, since a few minutes later another rainstorm came through.


Trapped in the gift shop in Norway. Minnie Mouse gets all of the cute outfits.


Trolls. Does anybody think about these when you think about "Norway"? I feel like they need a better PR Agent.


Giant Photo-op Troll in the middle of the gift shop. It's crowded in here as tons of nearby people are hiding from the rain.


Tons of Anna dolls, no Elsa dolls anywhere. Is Elsa so popular that they simply cannot stock enough of her, in her own gift shop? Nothing wrong with Anna, she's plenty cute, too. 


The line for the Frozen Ever After ride is usually out of this building and down the street, but the rain had chopped off the back end of it. When it was down to a lighter-drizzle, we made an impulse decision to jump over there and finally get on the ride. The sign says 70 minutes, which is not too bad for this ride.


Only a few minutes outside, and we were in the building. Here's some signs to check out while waiting. And there would be a lot of waiting.


Have you seen Frozen yet? If not, then why are you in this line? This poster cannot be considered a "spoiler" can it? Although, when I read it, it says Anna saved Elsa. But didn't Anna get um... Frozen? Who saved who again? Am I remembering that wrong?


The line queue wound through this giant room indoors that looked like a cool village at night. It was not a straight line, very maze-like, so it was not easy to tell how far you've gone, or how much longer you needed to go.


The line went through a building that was supposed to be Wandering Oaken's Trading Post. Do we need to buy any supplies for our journey?


Oaken can be seen peeking through the window of the back room, which is some kind of ice freezer. The window fogs up, and he's drawn a snowflake with his finger. A simple and clever use of a TV Screen and random fun video bits. The rest of the line queue could have used some of these screens.


This weather condition plaque totally rminded me of the similar plaque on Busch Garden's Alpengheist. I wonder if Elsa and the Alpengheist know each other? Maybe?


I'm on a boat! The ride is gentle enough that I probably could have taken some pictures, but I chose to "enjoy" the ride instead. There was a small amount of splashing and chaos, so maybe it's good to keep the phone in a pocket either way. While the ride is very much a non-thrilling "kid's ride", it had very impressive animatronics that were basically live-action cartoons, right in front of you. I can see why the kids like this ride, and I'm glad I finally went on it.


The ride exits right back into the same gift shop we had been in earlier, and I quickly grabbed a picture of the first "Elsa" I saw, so I'd have a time record of when I took the picture. 5:02. The picture I took at the start of our line-wait was 4:08, so a little less than a full hour. Not too bad.


Ha-ha! Minty-green Anna and Elsa topiary figures! There are topiary figures all around the World Showcase in Epcot, but I feel like these two should be ice sculptures instead. And also, it was raining for a while before, shouldn't that have been SNOW in Norway?
There's still more of Epcot to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment